At first glance, you may think that Funny-Shaped Dice is about making maps for Role-Playing Games. At first glance, you may be right. However, if Funny-Shaped Dice is really about anything, it is about a love of gaming and a deep desire to reconnect with the most amazing hobby and people, outside of my wonderful wife and three amazing kids, with which I have ever been connected in my entire life.
My first experience with role-playing games was with Dungeons & Dragons “Basic”. Played “The Keep On The Borderlands” when I was about 9 or 10 years old. I remember it was amazing! What a great game! You mean, I can do anything I want? Whoa.
In 6th grade, I got my own copy, the old red-box edition, and I was hooked.
There is nothing like table-top role-playing with the right group of people. It is a hobby that will lead you in so many different directions and expose you to people, things and ideas you’ve never experienced before.
Through this hobby, I…
- …developed a deep and abiding love for reading
- …learned to write gooder. (Just kidding)
- …took classes in figure drawing
- …took classes in photography
- …learned a lot of European history
- …found ways to apply lessons from my high-school physics classes1
- …learned tolerance and to appreciate diversity (Gamers are notoriously open-minded)
- …learned team-work and consensus building
- …learned leadership
- …learned to strategize and problem solve
- …learned to plan and organize
- …learned to think on my feet
- …learned improvisational speaking and public speaking
- …developed an interest in The Stage (and even acted in a few stage productions)
- …developed an interest in film, script-writing and cinematography
- …learned attention to detail (have *you* ever tried to paint 25mm Miniatures?!)
I could go on and on. There were so many positive things that I took away from this hobby, and the experiences that it provided to me, that directly contributed and influenced who I became and the successes I’ve had. I may not do a lot of these things now but I have fond memories of them.
At some point in the future I hope Funny-Shaped Dice becomes much more about contributing and giving back to a hobby and to a community that had a tremendous influence on the person that I’ve become.
I hope you’ll join me on this adventure and come back to visit often.
“Well…how fast, exactly, does my space craft need to go in order to reach escape velocity from the planet’s atmosphere given conditions X, Y, Z?” ↩